Sunday, March 2, 2014

Sweet Spots: An Intro

The future of genealogy is all centered on one word: collaboration. For me, there could be no more exciting prospect. Being stingy with our time and resources--there is no room for this in the future of genealogy. And as I think about what this means for me as a researcher, I always come back to the same idea.

We each reach a point in our research where the information we need doesn't exist on the internet. And it seems like every time you turn around, there's someone who is totally willing to help you... for the right price.




You know who I'm talkin' about. The Drug Dealer Genealogists. Even talking to those people is gonna cost you something. And that's before you can even determine whether or not they can help you. They start by pushing services you don't even need OR want. But because they live in a place you can't go, and have access to one thing you DO want, they expect you to make it rain.


You want $30 an hour... to look up an obituary?
Sorry, forgot to take my stupid pills this morning

After having several experiences like this in the past week, I've decided to start a new series. Sweet Spots are the places and people you can turn to in a tight moment. If you need someone to look something up for you, they're on your side to help you find it. It can be a website, a historical society, a program at your local library--whatever or whomever helps you find what you need for the price you want to pay.

My research has already taken me across the globe, and I've amassed resources for communities in the US, Canada, and beyond. Expect to see me sharing those with you, and I invite you to share yours with us as well.

What is the best way to do research where you live? How do you volunteer to help other researchers? What are the low/no cost options for doing research in the places you're researching? Write it up and let us know!

No comments:

Post a Comment